Saturday, December 20, 2014

Red Sox introduce newly acquired Rick Porcello

(Source: Elise Amendola/Associated Press)

The Boston Red Sox officially introduced newly acquired starting pitcher Rick Porcello at Fenway Park on Friday.

After losing out to the Cubs in the Jon Lester sweepstakes and still in need of rotation help, Boston traded Yoenis Cespedes (who was acquired in the Jon Lester trade at the July 31 trade deadline) to the Detroit Tigers in exchange for Porcello.

The New Jersey native is coming off a season with the Tigers in which he went 15-13 with a 3.43 ERA and 1.231 WHIP while striking out 5.7 batters per nine innings.

When asked about the opportunity to play with the Boston Red Sox:

"I'm thrilled," he said. "I couldn't have asked for a better organization to get traded to. The winning tradition here, and everything that they're trying to do going forward, I'm extremely excited. It's a great opportunity.

"I want to just meet everybody and familiarize myself with the clubhouse and really just fit in and get to know everybody on the team and let them know that I'm here to work and here to win."

Although only 25 years old, Porcello already has six full seasons under his belt. In 184 career games, Porcello owns a 76-63 record to go with a 4.30 ERA, 1.359 WHIP and 2.49 K/BB ratio.

"Coming to the big leagues at a young age, it took me a little while to develop into the pitcher that I was going to be," explained Porcello. "I think the use of my curveball has been a big plus for me, changing speeds -- especially against left-handed hitters -- and also changing eye levels with a four-seam fastball and not just pounding the bottom of the zone with a sinker. I think those different looks, they make my sinker better."

The Red Sox hope that Porcello, in addition to the newly acquired Wade Miley and Justin Masterson, can solidify a starting rotation that was blown up at the trade deadline.

Some may remember Porcello as the pitcher who surrendered a walk-off single to Jarrod Saltalamacchia in the infamous Game 2 of the 2013 American League Championship Series:


No comments:

Post a Comment