Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Mookie Betts Continues to Impress with Inside-the-Park Home Run

(Photo Source: Yawkey Way Report)

Another day at the ballpark, another headline for Mookie Betts.

Betts continued his remarkable Spring Training run on last Sunday afternoon (March 22nd) against the Philadelphia Phillies at JetBlue Park in Ft. Myers, FL. The 22-year old infielder-turned-outfielder put up yet another multi-hit performance, going 2 for 2 with a RBI.

Mookie Betts In 11 Grapefruit League games, Betts is hitting .471/.471/.853 good for an astounding 1.324 OPS, with nine extra-base hits and two RBIs.

One of his more memorable Spring Training moments came Sunday afternoon when Betts launched a ball to deep center field, and was able to come all the way around the bases on an inside-the-park home run as Phillies' center fielder Odubel Herrera struggled to locate the ball after attempting to catch it over his shoulder.

“I just thought it was going to be a double,” Betts shared with BostonGlobe.com. “When I was getting close to second I figured I might as well go three. When I was going three, Butter had the decision to send me home. I kind of went with the flow.”

With a good mix of power and speed, Red Sox' manager John Farrell sounds more than confident having Betts hitting lead off come Opening Day.

“He’s obviously driving the ball consistently. He gives you a threat even as the game begins,” Farrell told the Globe. “He’s an exciting player. He’s always on time hitting-wise. He’s equipped to hit different types or pitches from righthanders and left handers."

Betts is even receiving praise from some of his veteran teammates, such as left fielder Hanley Ramirez.

“He’s been doing well with the communication, moving me around. I like that, a young guy taking charge,” Ramirez told BostonGlobe.com

“He reminds me of myself in [2006] in Miami,” Ramirez told NJ.com.

With the spring performance he has put up so far, along with the high praise from his coaches and teammates alike, 2015 is shaping up to be a break out campaign for the Nashville, TN native, Mookie Betts.

No comments:

Post a Comment